Principle photography started on Babysitting Without a Net during the first week of May, 2005. That’s a fancy way of saying the pieces came together to finally begin the shoot at this time ten years ago. I’ve come across some interesting documents that were critical to organizing this production. The first is a workflow chart that was put together by our cinematographer Jordan Valenti. Anyone who has ever wondered how the film came to look the way it does, this image explains the process.
Unlike the videos I would shoot afterward, Babysitting Without a Net used 16mm film. This went through the stages of having the negatives developed here in New York, and then the tapes were sent off to Los Angeles for the post-production. This is also where digital dream sequence was composed, as I mentioned previously.
After the editing, there was still another step of finishing the film in an HD format, and then doing a color correction to get the exact pallet of the end version. This is what became the Master copy and used to encode on the DVD.
It’s fascinating from a technical aspect, and pretty involved for a project of this scope. I’m glad we did it this way, because it gives the film a distinctive appearance. Over the next few weeks, I will share some more items I found.