Continuing my look back at the making of Babysitting Without a Net to celebrate the 10 year anniversary, I found a spreadsheet that was made as a preliminary shoot schedule. The purpose of this form was to organize what scenes we would shoot over the course of five days. Included were references to the script pages, as well as the actors involved in each scene.
Now what is interesting to see is how certain sections were set up to be shot out of sequence, in order to make the most efficient use of our crew’s time. However, it is also telling that the way events actually unfolded, diverge somewhat from this schedule. Again, it was a preliminary outline to be followed, and after all no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.
We did start out on Monday with the best of intentions, shooting the opening vignette that would end up running for 16 minutes in the finished film. It is the establishing chapter of the story and very detailed, with the most dialogue and movement. As such, its filming stretched out longer than anticipated, until Wednesday.
Furthermore, the climactic classroom scene would not be shot on Thursday as the schedule reads, in fact it would not be filmed until weeks later, when we returned to Los Angeles for a wild one day shoot.
Instead, we moved the “doctors and patient” scene to Thursday. But due to the uncooperative weather, although the scene begins outside, we did not finish in the garden. The remainder of that episode was placed back indoors.
Friday was when we took on the cookie baking scenario, which in the film is actually Chapter 2. Also, we would end up shooting out the kitchen stuff earlier in the day, and then the part where the girls pester Laura-Ann by the window was done at night.
Having fit everything in, minus the classroom, we were indeed able to wrap on Saturday as planned. The following month of June would begin the joys of post-production.